Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Decoding my DNA

You might think by the title of this post that I'm going to discuss the intricacies of why I lose my keys and purse and how I inherited this from my Mama. Or how when I look in the mirror I see a slightly prettier version of my Dad. Well this isn't that kind of post! No, I'm literally having my DNA decoded!!

Some of you may not realize this about me, but one of my hobbies is researching genealogy. I don't care if its mine or other people's. I just love doing it. I want to know where I come from and if I meet you, chances are I want to know where you come from! It's fascinating!!

So there's this company called 23 and Me. I first became aware of them while watching Faces of America, a series by Henry Louis Gates Jr., who I'd like to have a beer with. (If you don't get this joke, Henry Loise Gates Jr. was the poor man who was mistakenly arrested for attempting to break into his own home. It caused a big stir and he ended up having beer with the officer who arrested him and president Barack Obama!)

Anyway, Henry Louis Gates is awesome and I admire his work!

Back to 23 and Me. I've been dying to complete my family history with a DNA test. Chris, being the awesome husband he is, and knowing that I don't like getting jewelry or flowers for Mother's Day or my birthday, bought me a testing kit!

Let the spitting begin! I had to fill this little vile with my own spit and quite a bit of it. Let me tell you, this was pretty gross. Spitting that much is pretty much my worst nightmare! Along with my notorious hate of wrists (both looking at them and touching them) I hate, absolutely abhor, spit!

I want to share with you this experience: (it's funniest if you scroll fast!)

































In about 6 to 8 weeks I will get the results and prove once and for all my extremely long toes are the genetic side effect of being a descendant of royalty!

2 comments:

  1. That was gross. Better you then me!!! thanks for biting the bullet on this one ang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your LG 47SL9000 TV FOR PC - An overview

    Feel free to surf to my blog; online video converter to mp3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you, but please forgive me if I don't get back to you right away, It's most likely I have a child climbing up my butt.